Friday, May 13, 2011

The Kitchen: The Innovation Station

While in Panama, I met a woman named Flor. Flor lives a little ways up the mountain at the far end of the one road of San Miguel. This awesome lady invited me to come to her house for lunch because she wanted to make untraditional food for my fellow San Miguel Outreach Team members. She asked me what I liked to eat, and I expressed that I was not picky and would "comer cualquier plato que cocinara" or eat whatever dish she cooked. She was thrilled at this, and I did not understand the gravity of it until the next day.

We arrived at her house and she had prepared dishes that we had yet to taste in the country. What our plates consisted of does not matter at the moment; what matters is that she was excited at the prospect of being able to show innovation in the kitchen. She is a creative lady, and loves to express herself through food. She told us that her husband, however, is a very traditional man and prefers traditional Panamanian food.

So, next time you question adding that extra ingredient to a dish at the risk of ruining it... do it!Next time you get sick of making ramen and salads... make something different!

Get creative in the kitchen!

Peace out.
Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment